Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thing #18 Online Productivity Tools

Well my first impression of Open Office is WHAT DO I DO WITH THAT BLANK PAGE? Even the "first time users" link didn't help me. I searched all around the different tabs and couldn't even find how to start a document. Maybe I'm blind! I also don't like the fact that I have to download it to my computer. I definitely won't use this product.

Google Docs is more user friendly. Since I already have a Google account I just clicked on the link and I was connected. Several advantages include: 1) it's free 2) you can access your files from any computer that has internet access 3)You can use their templates and choose from thousands. 4) You never have to create anything from scratch 5) You can upload your existing files. 6) You can collaborate on a shared document without having to email it back and forth.

However, since I'm not used to the format, it's easier when I'm in a hurry to create something from Microsoft Office because I'm familiar with it. I would like to spend more time getting familar with Google Docs because I see the advantages to having my documents available to me at work and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment