Sunday, March 21, 2010

Thing #13 Tagging and Delicious

I think social bookmarking is ingenious! I was just complaining to myself that my husband adds so many ridiculous websites to our favorites that I have to weed through his to find my important ones. Ha Ha! I was going to suggest setting up folders in our favorites but bookmarking is so much better because you have your important sites at your fingertips no matter what computer you're using. (We have 2 in our office)

Also, I can't tell you how many times someone in my school emails me a great website and I look at it but don't know what to do with it afterwards. I can see using this with my Kindergarten team by bookmarking sites for Literacy Station ideas and online literacy and math games for our students.

I can see using this as a librarian for sharing websites with other librarians on various topics and using it as a discussion forum. It's also a great tool for helping students with research by bookmarking safe sites for topics the teachers have assigned.

I can also see the benefit for the librarian student. Currently, I have a folder on my favorites entitled MLIS with websites I find that I want to refer back to regularly for research and general information.

I wonder which Social Bookmarking site is the best? I know my librarian uses DIIGO. I like the highlighting and post-it features but it seems a little more complicated than Delicious. Does anyone have an opinion about which site is the best and easiest to use?

2 comments:

  1. I think you will decide on which works best for you thru a little practice with both...and which may or may not be available to you at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was introduced to Diigo first . . . which might be why I prefer it over Delicious.

    ReplyDelete